Unsticky

Unsticky - Sarra Manning Oh this book was just too many kinds of amazing. It's a romance that reads like something else entirely and it had me turning the pages as fast as I could and wishing it would never end. I just loved it.

Others have mentioned the strength of the character depth and really that's what makes this book tick. Grace and Vaughn are interesting and nuanced. They both have really incredible character arcs from the beginning to the end of the book. The big win for me was that Grace learns to stand on her own two feet by the end of the book. She had me worried there for a while, but she changes and makes her life different by the time the book is finished.

The storyline isn't that original. There's pieces of the ideas from 50 Shades of Grey, Pretty Women, Confessions of a Shopaholic and quite a bit from The Devil Wears Prada. But really that's because it's the story of a rich older man and poor young woman, broke, walked all over, and obsessed with fashion and works for a fashion magazine. Grace is a mess. Vaughn isn't much better, but at least he has some money to back him up. The premise will either be off-putting or intriguing depending on the reader, but I don't know that the book could have worked with a more mundane premise. It's the fact that these characters are placed in a sticky situation of their own choosing that makes their character development possible.

I don't really know how to describe what makes this book stand above just about everything else in the romance genre I've read for the past year and a half. I guess probably the fact that it's NOT a romance. At it's heart it is about the relationship between two people, but more than that it reads like a novel. A really good novel. The prose is sharp and witty.

I for one am thankful that this sort of book exists. I love reading a love story, a bit of afternoon romantic fluff as much as the next person, but what I love more is reading a book about love with some depth. A book where the characters are flawed but realistic. Where neither of them looks like supermodel and where all the sex that happens in the book isn't the most mind-blowingly awesome thing that has ever happened to the heroine in the history of the world. There were moments in this book when I really disliked Vaughn. At least once I put the book down and vowed that Manning couldn't win me back over to his side, but she did. Books like that are few and far between. This is a must read for anyone who found anything to love in any of the titles I mentioned above, or for anyone who in the mood for a darn good read.