At Peace

At Peace - Kristen Ashley Oy! Buddy!? Come on. If a guy called me that it would spell doom for our relationship. I'd punch him straight in the teeth and never see him again. How unsexy can you get? That's what you call kids when you're trying to convince them to eat their vegetables. The thought of using that in a sexy way actually kind of creeps me out.

I've also just read some unsettling news: KA does in fact have an editor, which means that they are intentionally leaving her books riddled with grammatical and structural errors. All those extra pages of nonsense description are there for a reason. For what purpose?! So then I thought, perhaps she hadn't been picked up yet when this book was released, since it's older. But then I remembered that I recently attempted her newest, (or next newest) Own the Wind. That was ALSO a writing disaster. One so bad that I don't even think I finished it. It convinced me not to inflict her books on myself anymore.

I said I was going to stop reading her books. I am going to stop reading her books. This is it. Reading her books feels kind of like the morning after heavy drinking. You think you had fun, but really you're not sure and mostly you're just slightly unwell. (That might be a bit of overkill, but then again maybe not.)

The editing, excessive length and repetitive characterization get in the way of a good story. It's a real shame because the woman can tell a damn fine love story. And you gotta love her alphas. But as others have said...unfortunately they are always the same alpha.

That's not even the biggest problem for me- I think most people read KAs work for exactly that- the hot, controlling alphas males who come take what they want and don't take no for an answer. What I do have a problem with is the hot mess that is her prose. I try to read and look past it and just see the story, but I can't do it. It's just a mess. Her editor really should help her out- cut down her work and tighten up her prose. There is just no excuse for bad writing. I'm sure it would expand her fan base. I'm not a fan now, but I would be if she'd clean things up.