A Rogue by Any Other Name

A Rogue by Any Other Name - Sarah MacLean Aside from wanting to whack Sheffield upside the head I liked this book. Penelope is a good soul, who wants a love-match instead of a business-like marriage. Who can blame her? And if she hadn't grown up with Sheffield and had a history of knowing him and holding him as a dear friend there is no way I could have gotten behind their pairing.

Sheffield is an ass. Simple as that. He shows absolute no regard for her for more than half of the book. There is really no excuse for it. I understand he had a terrible, troubled past and lost his fortune. Blah, blah, blah. That's no reason to take it out on your lifelong friend.

But let's put that aside.

I buy his terrible behavior and Penelope somewhat going along with it. The thing I could wrap my head around was his drastic shift from self-centered asshat to angelic hero. He literally changes his whole outlook on Penelope and their marriage in the course of a couple of pages. All it takes is one stern talking to from his friends at The Fallen Angel and he's all about wooing Penelope and getting back into her good graces. Granted, I wanted him to get back in her good graces-- he spends most of the book in the doghouse. The trouble was, I just didn't believe that a character that dark and self-minded would come round to wanting the love of a good woman in that amount of time and by that amount of time I mean from one moment until the next.

All that said, I really did like this book. I don't love fluff romance. This book had a bit of meat to it. The darkness in Sheffield made him a compelling hero. Penelope is a strong lead. She loves Sheffield but she isn't a doormat. She makes him work for it while keeping her sense of self.