Sins & Needles

Sins & Needles - Karina Halle A la The Lock Artist. Though I seem to be comparing every book I read to that one lately. This is a 4.5 stars for sure. Heavy on the romance, but doesn't forget the plot along the way. It doesn't have the subtlety of The Lock Artist, or some of the nuance with the characters, but hey it's a romance so perhaps it isn't needed. Halle's protagonist is more in your face. The writing is pretty em...direct...there's no insinuation going on. As a reader you know what's happening, sometimes in perhaps a tad too much graphic details. The issues with Ellie's leg aren't really a secret like I thought they were going to be in the beginning. The injury serves drive the action and the characterization really well. The thing I really liked about this book was the action that drove the book. I read the prequel directly afterward and it really filled out the sort of love triangle that Halle is setting up for book three, but not really in an annoying way. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to switch gears from Cam to Javier, but I needn't have worried. They are both interesting in their own way. This book as a different flavor than a lot of the other romances out there right now. It's similar in feel to the Love Me with Lies trilogy that Tarryn Fisher is writing. This book has more action-- because it's a crime story-- but the sort of bizarreness of the love triangle situation equates nicely with that book.