Walking Disaster

Walking Disaster - Jamie McGuire I held off reviewing this book because I have no idea what star rating to give it. I enjoyed Beautiful Disaster so much and I was really looking forward to this book coming out.

But I can't say I enjoyed this book. That's not because it isn't exactly what it professes itself to be, namely the story of Travis and Abby told through Travis' eyes.

However, I found after reading this book that I didn't want to see the world through Travis' eyes. The boy has problems. In reading about his and Abby's relationship from his POV I found their relationship, which in Beautiful Disaster I enjoyed, to be deeply troubling. Abby becomes the focus of Travis' whole world. After he realizes that he's in love with her, he can no longer function normally without her. (Caveat here, he wasn't really functioning "normally" before she came along anyway with all the drinking and sleeping around.) He's almost obsessed and he's certainly destructive and possessive.

Seeing the world through his eyes made me realize that Abby had the right idea when she initially hesitates to take the next step in her relationship with Travis. She doesn't think it is a good idea for them to be more than friends and tries to move on and find a romantic interest elsewhere. I say, "Go Abby!" She should have run while she had the chance. By the end of the book Abby's complete lost in Travis' world with him. Getting married as a freshman in college?! That was even a little hard to swallow when it was written in Abby's POV in Beautiful Disaster. Now, when we see it through the lens of all the crazy Travis has shared with us throughout his 300+ pages of insanity I think it's just plain ludicrous. This can only end in tears-- for both of them.

All in all, I wish I hadn't read the book because I wound up feeling sorry for Travis and wishing he and Abby weren't together. Now all I can think about the violent and probably tumultuous future together.