A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness I read in other people's reviews that you can tell that this is a first novel, and you can, but that doesn't detract from it being a good story. I admit that right around the middle to end of the book things began to drag a bit, probably some editing could have been done there. But, overall the story is a good one. The vampire/witch love story was interesting and engaging. I liked this take on supernatural beings. The author is a scholar of the history or science and medicine like the heroine, which means she brings a lot of historical detail to the novel in a convincing way. I will say that the tone from the being of the book to the end of the book sort of shifted for me. At first Diana is very focused on her work, very intellectual and driven and we hear a lot of about her research. By the end, it is more about the love story and Diana coming to terms with her powers as a witch. Her character sort of devolves after she falls in love. I wish that the author would have continued with the strong, independent character that she introduced us to to begin with.

I am excited about the next book, I like historical fiction best of all.