The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Ellen Forney, Sherman Alexie One of the best young adults I've read in a very long while.

I have put off reading this book for a good three years. That was my bad. This is not a good book. It's a GREAT book. A book that will make kids like reading books. There is a lot of controversy (or was at the time of publication) surrounding the content of this book: language, references to masturbation, and alcohol and quite a bit of violence. I agree with Alexie wholeheartedly when he defends this book and its content by explaining that the content is authentic. I think that is what makes it great. Kids don't want to read about things that they feel are dumbed down or edited to fit their age-group.

Enough about the nonsense that got this book in trouble. This book is FUNNY. Junior is a fabulous narrator and the episodes of his life on and off the reservation are equal parts poignant and tragic. Including the comics throughout the book adds readability to the book that will help it appeal to a broader audience.

This is going on my classics shelf and I'll recommend it to everyone.