Dream Lake. by Lisa Kleypas (Friday Harbor)

Dream Lake. by Lisa Kleypas (Friday Harbor) - Lisa Kleypas This surprised the heck out of me. I normally don't dig these kind of contemporary/women's lit type books with lots of sap and small town living. But I really liked this one. It's funny because I started one of the other books in this series (Something about a Harbour. There was some glass artistry and a cheating boyfriend, blah, blah) and I just could NOT get into it. I was bored stiff. This book hit the spot though. I think it comes down to a couple of things:

1. Magic realism- I've been a sucker for magic realism since I read 100 Years of Solitude and Like Water for Chocolate. So this might not be exactly magic realism, but there is food with special magic powers and a ghost.

2. Broken hero- I love me some messed up, dark, brooding man with insurmountable issues, saved by love. Divorced alcoholic who had a bad childhood and is incapable of intimacy-- yes please!

3. House remodeling- I don't know why but I just love envisioning houses getting redo, or really anything redone. Maybe lots of people like this and that is why those HGTV shows are so popular.

4. Feels- It totally gave me the feels on multiple levels. The ghost story was actually super touching, I might have almost shed a tear towards the end. The main romance was also great, not as many feels as with the ghost, but it was very compelling.

I didn't go for five stars because at the end of the day it WAS a contemporary, chick-lit, sappy book and there was a bit of mooning around and women getting all touchy feely with each other and holding each others' hands etc, etc.